Splunk Search

index-time extractions

mgherman
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to configure some index-time field extractions on a SplunkForwarder, so that I can tag all events from the Forwarder with a couple of additional fields.

It is impractical to try to do this at search-time.

I have tried adding the following files to the forwarder, in an attempt to follow the documentation:

• /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/props.conf

[default]

TRANSFORMS-role = xxx-role

TRANSFORMS-environment = xxx-environment

• /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/transforms.conf

[xxx-environment]

DEFAULT_VALUE = common

FORMAT = environment::"common"

WRITE_META = true

[xxx-role]

DEFAULT_VALUE = client

FORMAT = role::"client"

WRITE_META = true

• /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/fields.conf

[role]

INDEXED=true

INDEXED_VALUE=false

[environment]

INDEXED=true

INDEXED_VALUE=false

N.B. The config files look "normal" however I can't manage to format the question.

The only change made to the indexing server has been to add the same fields.conf file.

Having restarted both the forwarder and indexer, I am still unable to search on either "role" or "environment".

(I am trying to search with environment="common" for example.)

Any advice/solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

mgh

0 Karma

mgherman
Explorer

To answer my own question: adding a regex that matched everything to the transforms.conf has it now working... though I'm sure there must be a better way to do this.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...