Splunk Search

how to use timechart count to return 0 when value is null, fillnull not working

lasonyadj

I am working on a search that returns counts by the hour but when the event has not occur, I would still like to fill in the column with zeros instead of it not appearing at all. I have tried fillnull, eval = if, eval =ifnull and it still has the same behavior. Any ideas? How do I create dummy data for when this occurs.

sourcetype=x Or sourcetype=y Or Sourcetype=z |timchart count span=1h by sourcetype

0 Karma
1 Solution

paulbannister
Communicator

After you timechart command add:

| table _time, sourcetype1, sourcetype2, sourcetype3
| fillnull sourcetype1, sourcetype2, sourcetype3

This should still display the data as a timechart but creating the missing fields to be subject "fillnull"

View solution in original post

paulbannister
Communicator

After you timechart command add:

| table _time, sourcetype1, sourcetype2, sourcetype3
| fillnull sourcetype1, sourcetype2, sourcetype3

This should still display the data as a timechart but creating the missing fields to be subject "fillnull"

lasonyadj

That works!! Thanks!1

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Great! Please be sure to accept the answer that works, and upvote any answers that were helpful.

0 Karma

paulbannister
Communicator

No problem

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

Add the usenull flag to the timechart command -

sourcetype=x OR sourcetype=y OR sourcetype=z | timchart span=1h usenull=true count by sourcetype
0 Karma

lasonyadj

Tried that too, it didn't work either.

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

You have to ensure that there is at least 1 event from each of the of sourcetype so that you can see 0 values for those.

If any of x or y or z has no events at all in the time range you are searching, they won't show up in the results with 0 values for any of the time range.

0 Karma

lasonyadj

So there is no way to pad these sources with zero when there are no events?

0 Karma

dineshraj9
Builder

Try this -

sourcetype=x OR sourcetype=y OR sourcetype=z | timchart span=1h usenull=true count by sourcetype | fillnull value=0 x y z

lasonyadj

correction:
sourcetype=x Or sourcetype=y Or Sourcetype=z |timechart count span=1h by sourcetype

0 Karma

lasonyadj

Also tried usenull, it didn't work either.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...