Splunk Search

how to use lookups to compare a csv against indexed DNS data

vitalechris15

I am ingesting DNS records into my splunk system. I want to compare these events again a list of Dynamic DNS domains. I've been able to incorporate the CSV of dynamics DNS into Splunk, but when I search I am only finding values that equal the domain, not values that "contain" the domain.

example events: (dns field is called "domain" in my splunk instance)
3322.org
test.3322.org

CSV file format: (called "dynamic_dns")
domain,dyns_dns_servcice (csv header)
3322.org, true (values)

Here's the Splunk query I used:
sourcetype="dns" | lookup dynamic_dns domain | search dyn_dns_service=true

This splunk query returns results for "3322.org", but not the other domain "test.3322.org".

What would be a query to run that would capture both domains? I can't figure out the correct search syntax.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Tags (2)
0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

You can configure match_type=WILDCARD(domain) in transforms.conf for your lookup file.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.2/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources#Optiona...

Note that your lookup file would need to have a wildcard, so your file would look like:

domain,dyns_dns_servcice (csv header)
*3322.org, true (values)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...