Splunk Search

how to use eval and stats first() (for dummies)

wsw70
Communicator

Hello,

Summary: how to get most recent vents for a given ID (for dummies)

I have data in the following format:

# OStime OSip OSreg OSstatus
1340406378 10.34.245.50 AG "NO TM"
1340406378 10.34.245.64 AG "NO TM"
1340406378 10.34.245.65 AG "NO TM"

OStime (which is correctly recognized as a timestamp) is unique to a set of data - there are many OStime entries in the index but I am only interested in the most recent one.

... | stats first(OStime)

correctly shows me the first instance of OStime

I then tried to do use it in an eval to get only data corresponding to this timestamp

... | eval mostrecent = stats first(OStime) | search OStime=mostrecent

This fails with a "Error in 'eval' command: The operator at 'first(OStime)' is invalid."

Thans in davnce for pointing me what is wrong, I looked at the examples in the documentation for eval, they look like mine except that they work 🙂

Tags (2)
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Hi,

I believe that there is a bit of confusion of concepts. stats operates on the whole set of events returned from the base search, and in your case you want to extract a single value from that set. eval creates a new field for all events returned in the search. Creating a new field called 'mostrecent' for all events is probably not what you intended.

Also if you look more closely at the documentation for eval, you will see that stats is not a valid function to eval.

Solution:
The default behaviour of Splunk is to return the most recent events first, so if you just want the find all events that have the same OStime as the most recent event you can use the head command in a subsearch;

sourcetype=your_sourcetype [search sourcetype=your_sourcetype | head 1 | fields + OStime]

The subsearch (within the square brackets) returns the field OStime (along with its value) for the most recent event (head 1) and adds it to the outer search, so that the main search reads something like;

sourcetype=your_sourcetype OStime=123345456

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Hi,

I believe that there is a bit of confusion of concepts. stats operates on the whole set of events returned from the base search, and in your case you want to extract a single value from that set. eval creates a new field for all events returned in the search. Creating a new field called 'mostrecent' for all events is probably not what you intended.

Also if you look more closely at the documentation for eval, you will see that stats is not a valid function to eval.

Solution:
The default behaviour of Splunk is to return the most recent events first, so if you just want the find all events that have the same OStime as the most recent event you can use the head command in a subsearch;

sourcetype=your_sourcetype [search sourcetype=your_sourcetype | head 1 | fields + OStime]

The subsearch (within the square brackets) returns the field OStime (along with its value) for the most recent event (head 1) and adds it to the outer search, so that the main search reads something like;

sourcetype=your_sourcetype OStime=123345456

Hope this helps,

Kristian

wsw70
Communicator

Thanks for the very detailed answer. Everything is now clear.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

eval works on a per-event basis, so stats commands for operating on multiple events doesn't apply.

Splunk should already have indexed your data so that it uses OStime as its internal timestamp as well. In that case, getting the most recent event could be achieved like this:

... | head 1

wsw70
Communicator

Thanks! Together with Kristian's answer it is now clear

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Hmm, it seems that I spend too long time editing my answers 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...