Splunk Search

how to show current ERROR trend as a single value

rajgowd1
Communicator

HI,
i am trying to display ERROR count as a single value and using below search

index=myindex ERROR co_name=$co_name$ env_name=$env_name$ | timechart span=1m count | eval _time=_time-now()%3600 | sort +_time
0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

If you need trend to be based on last an hour before the current one you need to add the following earliest and latest time to your base search (i.e. last 2 hours)

<earliest>-2h@h</earliest>
  <latest>now</latest>

Your search query will change as following:

index=myindex ERROR co_name=$co_name$ env_name=$env_name$ | timechart span=1h count 

And then edit Compared to to 1 hour before so that current hour stats are compared with previous hour for trending.

<option name="trendInterval">-1h</option>

This way you will current hour count as Single value and last hour count as trend indicator.

PS: Timeline will be restricted to only last two hour as per your need, but you can set -2h@h to even earlier value like -4h@h (last 4 hours) or even -0d@d (beginning of the day) to show hourly sparlike in the trend indicator. However, trend interval will remain 1 hour and current hour will always be compared with previous hour as set in above code block.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

If you need trend to be based on last an hour before the current one you need to add the following earliest and latest time to your base search (i.e. last 2 hours)

<earliest>-2h@h</earliest>
  <latest>now</latest>

Your search query will change as following:

index=myindex ERROR co_name=$co_name$ env_name=$env_name$ | timechart span=1h count 

And then edit Compared to to 1 hour before so that current hour stats are compared with previous hour for trending.

<option name="trendInterval">-1h</option>

This way you will current hour count as Single value and last hour count as trend indicator.

PS: Timeline will be restricted to only last two hour as per your need, but you can set -2h@h to even earlier value like -4h@h (last 4 hours) or even -0d@d (beginning of the day) to show hourly sparlike in the trend indicator. However, trend interval will remain 1 hour and current hour will always be compared with previous hour as set in above code block.

rajgowd1
Communicator

Thank you,i updated the search string based on your suggestion and its working perfectly

0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

Why not just add on a '| stats count' or a '|stats count | table count' on the end, that would give you a count of the events you have found.

rajgowd1
Communicator

HI,
i would like to display and want to change this so it shows the continuous last 60 minutes. So if the search is run at 17:00 the single value would show 15:00 to 16:00 and the trend arrow and value with compare is 14:00 to 15:00

0 Karma

mrgibbon
Contributor

Take a look here, it mentions a timechart command may produce the result you want:
link text

So you may already have the code you need. Have you tried looking at the options for the trend in the xml?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...