Splunk Search

how to send events to nullque?

knalla
Path Finder

Hi, how to exclude internal source IP events for a sourcetype (web_logs) with src_ip=10.0.0.0/8 before indexing.

0 Karma

shivanshu1593
Builder

You can actually save some licensing too, just by blacklisting the field, along with it's value in inputs.conf itself.

blacklist = src_ip = 10.0.0.0/8

Else, routing the data to null queue, as explained by @mguhad, will work too. I find blacklisting the data to be more helpful, when i know I don't need a portion of data at all. Why even bother to ingest it, when it has no use.

Thank you,
Shiv
###If you found the answer helpful, kindly consider upvoting/accepting it as the answer as it helps other Splunkers find the solutions to similar issues###
0 Karma

mguhad
Communicator

You can eliminate unwanted data by routing it to the nullQueue and it is removed before indexing with a combination of props and tranforms .conf like below:

props.conf:

[web_logs]
TRANSFORMS-removeIP= exclude

transforms.conf:

[exclude]
REGEX = src_ip=\d{2}\.\d{1}\.\d{1}\.\d{1}\/8$
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

For methods to keep segments of the data and discard the rest, please the docs here:https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...