Splunk Search

how to prevent users from creating knowledge objects in custom app

AzmathShaik
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers

we are trying to restrict users (non admins) from creating knowledge objects (dashboards and reports) in our custom apps. we would like users to use the dashboards created but not save any dashboards.  we have not given write permissions to users for the app. Also we default.meta config file we added the below stanza 

[viewstates]

access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin ]

export = system

[views]

we have few groups who have write access to default search and reporting app. is this causing users to create KO's in custom app? 

if not can someone suggest me if there is anyway to restrict users doing so.  

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you don't want non-admin users to create any KOs in your app then you can provide only read access to all knowledge objects by adding below in the app's default.meta.

[]

export = system

Note that export = system makes reports and dashboards available to all apps.

Check this page for more information https://dev.splunk.com/enterprise/docs/developapps/manageknowledge/setpermissionsforobjects.

0 Karma

AzmathShaik
Path Finder

@manjunathmeti  we already have this in our config file. it still allowing users to create KO's

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That should not happen,
1. Check if there is a local.meta file in your app with write access to those user roles.
2. Check if those user roles have all_admin_objects capability or if user roles are inherited from the admin role.

0 Karma

AzmathShaik
Path Finder

@manjunathmeti 

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.47.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.49.22 AM.png

Here are my configs. i don't have any local.meta file. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...