Splunk Search

how to filter out columns in a chart after using a lookup and addtotals

_jgpm_
Communicator

I lost all my previous text because I accidentally navigated away from the page so I'll be brief here. I'm using 6.4.3.

I used this pseudocode search command:

basicsearch | stats values(ID) by name | lookup file to extend chart | addtotals col=t fieldname=sum | foreach field [eval field_perc=calc a percentage]

This is where I'm stuck. I can't think of how to remove a column where the addtotals row = 0. My chart has 30 fields so I don't want to list them all. I've tried using

foreach field [ fields - if(does field==0, then field,otherwise null) ]

but it only erases the field itself, not the column.

I want to keep all the rows, but only reduce the columns down to the meaningful ones (i.e. nonzero columns).

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Add this to your query

... | untable name fields data | where fields="row" AND data=0 | xyseries name fields data

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

Add this to your query

... | untable name fields data | where fields="row" AND data=0 | xyseries name fields data

_jgpm_
Communicator

@sundareshr Thanks for showing me how to use untable and xyseries. I definitely think I will use those in the future. However, the where logic doesn't work as expected. I started down the rabbit hole of researching logic tables...but this problem is a trivial one for me and I think I will just do an eval to create a mvfield of row labels where the row sum = 0. That's all I really need.

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...