Splunk Search

how to add calculated fields into a chart

chongdong
Explorer

I am trying to add 2 new fields into a chart, which is calculated by the exisiting columns in the following chart. Basically I want to add A3=A2/A1, and B3=B2/B1: 

chongdong_0-1642649972961.png

Can anyone suggest which command to use? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this - replace your last chart statement with these two lines - the chart just is renaming the fields and the foreach is doing the calc, i.e. Ratio=TintCount/Zones

| chart sum(tint_count) as TintCount dc(zonename) as Zones by direction type
| foreach TintCount* [ eval "Ratio<<MATCHSTR>>"='<<FIELD>>'/'Zones<<MATCHSTR>>' ]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you provide the query you are using? What happens when you tried what you tried?

0 Karma

chongdong
Explorer

Just found I can directly add sum(___) and dc(___) inside chart command which solved my previous problem lol! Thanks for looking into it though. Now I have a follow up quesion about my post-analysis for adding calculated fileds into the same chart... 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this - replace your last chart statement with these two lines - the chart just is renaming the fields and the foreach is doing the calc, i.e. Ratio=TintCount/Zones

| chart sum(tint_count) as TintCount dc(zonename) as Zones by direction type
| foreach TintCount* [ eval "Ratio<<MATCHSTR>>"='<<FIELD>>'/'Zones<<MATCHSTR>>' ]

0 Karma

chongdong
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion! But it doesn't seem to work

chongdong_0-1642660489110.png

Is the foreach command supposed to insert a new column called Ratio in this case? 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oops thanks @ITWhisperer pointing out the typo

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

dc(zonename) should be dc(zoneName)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...