Splunk Search

how long metadata last, retention policy?

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello,

I'm using metadata on hosts to get their first event time etc, are they accurate even on oldest records?

| metadata type=hosts

By the way where are they stored?

Thanks 🙂

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkreal,

These records are accurate if you run this search with All Time range. 

If you specify a time range other than All Time for your search, the search results might not be precise. The metadata is stored as aggregate numbers for each bucket on the index. A bucket is either included or not included based on the time range you specify.

The retention is the same as with particular index setting.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.1.2101/SearchReference/Metadata#Time_ranges 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkreal,

These records are accurate if you run this search with All Time range. 

If you specify a time range other than All Time for your search, the search results might not be precise. The metadata is stored as aggregate numbers for each bucket on the index. A bucket is either included or not included based on the time range you specify.

The retention is the same as with particular index setting.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.1.2101/SearchReference/Metadata#Time_ranges 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

splunkreal
Motivator

Awesome thanks

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...