Splunk Search

help for displaying a message in case of any results

jip31
Motivator

I use the search below which works fine
I just have an issue when there is no results
In this case, I would like to display : "0 hosts Online / X machines" (I also need that the count of X machines which corresponds to NbIndHost works)
Actually, when there is no results it returns me "Any results"
So there is an issue in the EVAL in the last line but I dont understand where
Could you help me please?

[| inputlookup host.csv 
    | table host] index="X" sourcetype="winhostmon" Type=Service Name=SplunkForwarder 
| stats latest(_time) as _time by host 
| eval DiffInSeconds = (now() - _time) 
| eval DiffInMinutes=DiffInSeconds/60 
| eval Status=if(DiffInSeconds<3601, "Online", "Offline") 
| eval EventCreatedTime=strftime(_time,"%d-%b-%Y %H:%M:%S %p %Z" ) 
| table host EventCreatedTime DiffInMinutes Status 
| sort +EventCreatedTime 
| dedup host 
| eval Code = if(like(Status,"Online"), "Online", "Offline") 
| lookup lookup_cmdb_fo_all.csv HOSTNAME as host output SITE 
| search SITE=$tok_filtersite|s$ 
| stats dc(host) AS OfflineCount by Code 
| appendcols 
    [| inputlookup host.csv 
    | search SITE=$tok_filtersite|s$ 
    | stats count as NbIndHost] 
| where Code = "Offline" 
| fields OfflineCount NbIndHost 
| eval OfflineCount = if(OfflineCount> 0, tostring(OfflineCount) + " host Offline","no host offline") + " / " + NbIndHost + " machines " 
| fields - NbIndHost
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

The problem is with the combination of | stats dc(host) AS OfflineCount by Code and | where Code = "Offline". If there are no 'offline' events, that will cause the stats command to not return any rows with Code="Offline", so after the where, you have 0 results. It will not magically add a row with Code=Offline and offlineCount=0.

So one way to solve that, is to add that row yourself, by adding the following code after the line with the stats command:

| append [| makeresults | eval Code="Offline", OfflineCount=0 | fields Code, OfflineCount]
| dedup Code

The append will add the default 'count=0' row at the bottom, the dedup will remove that row if there already was a row with an actual count for that code.

It would also be safer to move the appendcols to after the | where Code = "Offline". Since your appendcols only returns 1 row and if you have multiple rows before the | where Code = "Offline", only the first line gets the additional column filled in.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

The problem is with the combination of | stats dc(host) AS OfflineCount by Code and | where Code = "Offline". If there are no 'offline' events, that will cause the stats command to not return any rows with Code="Offline", so after the where, you have 0 results. It will not magically add a row with Code=Offline and offlineCount=0.

So one way to solve that, is to add that row yourself, by adding the following code after the line with the stats command:

| append [| makeresults | eval Code="Offline", OfflineCount=0 | fields Code, OfflineCount]
| dedup Code

The append will add the default 'count=0' row at the bottom, the dedup will remove that row if there already was a row with an actual count for that code.

It would also be safer to move the appendcols to after the | where Code = "Offline". Since your appendcols only returns 1 row and if you have multiple rows before the | where Code = "Offline", only the first line gets the additional column filled in.

0 Karma

jip31
Motivator

perfect thanks

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jip31

You can set/unset and display a custom message on the basis of resultCount.

If resultCount is ZERO then
set show_msg token and unset 'show_table` token
else
vise-versa

I have found one blog on that.

https://splunkonbigdata.com/2018/09/11/how-to-display-custom-message-in-place-of-no-results-found-in...

Below are a few links with a different approach to try.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/78124/no-results-found-i-want-to-show-other-message.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/50379/table-message-when-no-results-found.html

Thanks

0 Karma

jip31
Motivator

thanks for this information
BUT
Considering I need to display NbIndHost value even if OfflineCount=0 I am almost sure that there is the possibility to display something like this :
"0 hosts Online / 35 machines"

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jip31
Then Can you please try to update your appendcol search make it like below.

| inputlookup host.csv 
| stats count(eval(sourcetype="$tok_filtersite|s$")) as NbIndHost

Here you have to use appropriate by clause in search.

Execute my sample search:

index="_internal" sourcetype="*" | stats count(eval(sourcetype="splunkd")) as count by sourcetype

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...