Splunk Search

get size/bytes of log events and the number events by direction (request/response)

edookati
Path Finder

I am trying to get the number of requests/response that we send/receive to/from one application and the combined size of request & responses per hour.

I am using the below query, but this doesn't seem to work.

index=ABC sourcetype=abc ServiceName=A* OR ServiceName=B* OR ServiceName=C* | eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eventstats sum(raw_len), count by date_hour, Direction

I need results in the below table format...

date.hour NumberofRequests(direction=REQUEST) Number of Responses (direction=RESPONSE) Sum(bytes)

Can someone please help me with this?
Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

index=ABC sourcetype=abc ServiceName=A* OR ServiceName=B* OR ServiceName=C* | eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eval count_{Direction} = 1 | timechart sum(count_REQUEST) as NumberOfRequests sum(count_RESPONSE) as NumberOfResponses sum(raw_len) as CombinedSize

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this:

index=ABC sourcetype=abc ServiceName=A* OR ServiceName=B* OR ServiceName=C* | eval raw_len=len(_raw) | eval count_{Direction} = 1 | timechart sum(count_REQUEST) as NumberOfRequests sum(count_RESPONSE) as NumberOfResponses sum(raw_len) as CombinedSize

edookati
Path Finder

great! it worked. Thanks a lot.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...