Splunk Search

foreach with more than one FIELD?

hriazi
Engager

Hello,
In the code below, the first foreach sums the values in field A, and returns 21 (5+3+2+6+1+4=21).
The second foreach counts the number of B field that has a value of 1, and it returns 4 (for B1,B2,B3,B6).

|makeresults 1
| eval Selected_As_Total =0
| eval A1=5 | eval A2=3 | eval A3=2 | eval A4=6 | eval A5=1 | eval A6=4 | eval B1=1 | eval B2=1 | eval B3=1 | eval B4=2 | eval B5=2 | eval B6=1

| foreach A* [eval Selected_As_Total = Selected_As_Total + <>]

| eval Selected_Bs_Count = 0
| foreach B* [ eval Selected_Bs_Count = Selected_Bs_Count + case(<>=1,1,1=1,0)]

Question/problem: I need to get the total only for those A fields that their corresponding B field has a value of 1.
So the in this example we would select A1=5,A2=3,A3=2,A6=4 because B1=1,B2=1,B3=1,B6=1, and the result would come to 5+3+2+4=14.

How do I do that? Is there a way to combine these two foreach commands into one? In other words, is there way to have a foreach with two FIELDs?
Is there another way to accomplish what I need?

BTW, in each event there is a B field for every A field, but the number of A/B pairs could be different from one event to the next.

I have searched the docs and Q/As and have not found a similar case. Thank you for any help you could offer.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

| foreach A* [eval Selected_As_Total = Selected_As_Total + if(B<<MATCHSTR>>=1, <<FIELD>>,0)]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

| foreach A* [eval Selected_As_Total = Selected_As_Total + if(B<<MATCHSTR>>=1, <<FIELD>>,0)]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

hriazi
Engager

Thank you Rich. It works beautifully. Now I understand what the MATCHSTR does.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...