Splunk Search

foreach and server limits

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I was wondering... how are foreach-generated searches treated regarding the searches limits?

I mean - normally you have your maximum number of concurrent searches set in your limits.conf - it can affect how/when/where your searches will be scheduled to run and can generate alerts in case of too many delayed searches. Fair enough.

But how are subsearches spawned from foreach command counted against the limit?

If I do a foreach over - let's say - 50 fields, will it consume 50 searches? Will they be all run in parallel or will they be sequenced somehow?

Any good doc describing this?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I haven't seen any specific documentation about this, but what I have understood is that those are not sub searches, which are counted as separate searches. You can see this by two different searches (foreach and another with sub search). 1st one didn't spawn another search job but 2nd one with sub search spawn it. Just look those from Activity -> jobs

r. Ismo

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The "normal" job inspection doesn't show much of a difference at first glance but I forgot to check the job log. When I did look there, indeed there's no info about spawning subsearches in case of foreach whereas a "real" subsearch does indeed contain

09-30-2021 14:14:45.012 INFO  DispatchStorageManagerInfo [4926 searchOrchestrator] - Successfully created new dispatch directory for search job. sid=subsearch_1633004084.7924_1633004085.1 dispatch_dir=/opt/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/subsearch_1633004084.7924_1633004085.1

Thanks for the hint.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...