Splunk Search

field "punct" meaning

rashid47010
Communicator

Hi everyone,

I am seeing "punct" field against almost all indexes. what does that mean.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

paimonsoror
Builder

I find the field to be a great tool when I am trying to come up with a regex for field extractions. Sometimes you come up with a base search and no matter how hard you try to limit the results to a certain subset, there will always be some outliers. Punct is a fantastic way to quickly point you to the outliers that didn't match the pattern you expected. Huge help when building regex and accounting for variations of results in your base search.

somesoni2
Revered Legend

niketn
Legend

@rashid47010... punct is default indexed fields which are patterns of punctuation within events. You can directly search for events belonging to to specific pattern.

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Maybe someone from splunk can confirm but I believe technically it is _raw with all the spaces and tokens removed

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...