Splunk Search

fetch between 2000 to 3000 events in query

pasokkum
Path Finder

Hi,

In splunk query 'head' command is used to get the first 'particular' number of events. I want to get the events between the specified numbers. My query should be something like index=myindex sourcetype=mysorcetype | head (2000 to 3000)
Is there any command to get the events range?

Tags (1)

sundareshr
Legend

This is another option

index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype | streamstats count | where count>=2000 AND count<=3000 | fields - count

Runals
Motivator

I don't think so but could be wrong. An option that comes to mind, though not particularly elegant, is

index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype | head 3000 | tail 1000

Here you'd get the top 3k and then with the tail command get the bottom 1k

pasokkum
Path Finder

Thanks Runals..! | head 3000 | tail 1000 is taking more time to load the results results when compared to | head 1000..

0 Karma

Runals
Motivator

yeah I'm guessing tail will result in longer times as Splunk has to read 'through' all of the events to get to the bottom/end of the result set (highly technical description there). A somewhat more inelegant but potentially faster solution might be

... | head 300 | reverse | head 1000 | reverse

the point of the numbers though was to get to items number 2k through 3k from your original request. In my environment I did a search on Windows Security Event Viewer logs from a very large index (tens of millions of Windows audit logs). The head / tail solution took 4.9s. The head/reverse/head/reverse method took 2.9s /shrug.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...