Splunk Search

extract top ten values

jip31jip31
Explorer

hi
i use this code
index="wineventlog" sourcetype="wineventlog:" SourceName="" Type="Critique" OR Type="Avertissement" | dedup _time SourceName | table _time SourceName | stats count by SourceName

and i would like to keep only the ten important values
how to do it please???

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kmaron
Motivator
index="wineventlog" sourcetype="wineventlog:" SourceName="" Type="Critique" OR Type="Avertissement" 
| dedup _time SourceName 
| table _time SourceName 
| stats count by SourceName
| sort - count limit=10

Sort by the field you want the top 10 of. (I used your count)
Then set limit= for how many you want to keep.

View solution in original post

tpeveler_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello,

The most straight forward way to handle this would be to use the top command.

A couple of things to note. You'll want to wildcard your sourcetype so that you do indeed pickup the wineventlog sourcetypes (i.e. sourcetype="wineventlog:*"). In addition, you'll want to wrap the OR condition on the Type fields in parenthesis as such (Type="Critique" OR Type="Avertissement")

SPL...

index="wineventlog" sourcetype="wineventlog:*" SourceName="" (Type="Critique" OR Type="Avertissement")
| dedup _time SourceName
| top limit=10 SourceName

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator
index="wineventlog" sourcetype="wineventlog:" SourceName="" Type="Critique" OR Type="Avertissement" 
| dedup _time SourceName 
| table _time SourceName 
| stats count by SourceName
| sort - count limit=10

Sort by the field you want the top 10 of. (I used your count)
Then set limit= for how many you want to keep.

adonio
Ultra Champion

use the top command? ... | top limit=10 SourceName
or maybe sort command ... | sort 10 - count

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...