Splunk Search

evaluate multiple fields

xyz123
Explorer

Hello,
I have 2 fields I want to filter they are: name, "short name"

I want to pull all the events that contains: name="software" or "short name"=software" 
and  exclude: "Splunk" "Adobe" "Microsoft".. and another 50 names for both fields

I have this for the exclusion:

| regex name!="(.*)((?i)(splunk|acrobat|microsoft)(.*)"
| regex "short name"!="(.*)((?i)(splunk|acrobat|microsoft)(.*)"

One question: is there a way to put this in 1 sentence instead of use duplication like above?
for example:

| regex (name| "short name")!="(.*)((?i)(splunk|acrobat|microsoft)(.*)"

Thanks,
xyz123

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @xyz123 ,

If fields name and "short name" part of your index then you can filter them in the main search only. This will be much faster.

index=index NOT [| makeresults | eval name="splunk|microsoft" | eval name=split(name, "|") | mvexpand name | strcat "*" name "*" name | format] NOT [| makeresults | eval filter="splunk|microsoft" | eval filter=split(filter, "|") | mvexpand filter | strcat "*" filter "*" filter | eval "short name"=filter | fields - filter | format]

For your question, if you want the same query to filter values for 2 fields, you can create a macro and use it in your search.

1. Create a macro with an argument.

macros.conf

[filter_software(1)]
args = fieldname
definition = | makeresults | eval filter="splunk|microsoft|dell|apple" | eval filter=split(filter, "|") | mvexpand filter | strcat "*" filter "*" filter| eval $fieldname$=filter| fields - filter| format

2.  Use that macro in your search.

index=indexname sorcetype=sourcetypename NOT [`filter_software("name")`] NOT [`filter_software("short name")`]

If this reply helps you, an upvote/like would be appreciated. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

manjunathmeti
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

hi @xyz123 ,

If fields name and "short name" part of your index then you can filter them in the main search only. This will be much faster.

index=index NOT [| makeresults | eval name="splunk|microsoft" | eval name=split(name, "|") | mvexpand name | strcat "*" name "*" name | format] NOT [| makeresults | eval filter="splunk|microsoft" | eval filter=split(filter, "|") | mvexpand filter | strcat "*" filter "*" filter | eval "short name"=filter | fields - filter | format]

For your question, if you want the same query to filter values for 2 fields, you can create a macro and use it in your search.

1. Create a macro with an argument.

macros.conf

[filter_software(1)]
args = fieldname
definition = | makeresults | eval filter="splunk|microsoft|dell|apple" | eval filter=split(filter, "|") | mvexpand filter | strcat "*" filter "*" filter| eval $fieldname$=filter| fields - filter| format

2.  Use that macro in your search.

index=indexname sorcetype=sourcetypename NOT [`filter_software("name")`] NOT [`filter_software("short name")`]

If this reply helps you, an upvote/like would be appreciated. 

0 Karma

xyz123
Explorer

I like this solution show my code clean, and yes I'm filtering my fields, "name" and 'short name" at the "index" line, thanks

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the 'where' command instead of regex and do

| where !(match(name, "(.*)((?i)(splunk|acrobat|microsoft)(.*)") OR match('short name', "(.*)((?i)(splunk|acrobat|microsoft)(.*)"))

Note that in a where clause, the field names have the same rules as in eval statements, i.e. for fields containing non standard characters, you need to wrap the field in single quotes

0 Karma

xyz123
Explorer

I tried, this but since they are around more than 50 "name" it's going to take a lot of code that's why I went using RegEx, thanks so much for your reply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...