Splunk Search

erex or IFE with comma

tb5821
Communicator

How do I use the IFA or even better erex and specify mutiple values that contain a comma? I've tried putting them in quotes etc but doesn't seem to work.

I really just trying to extract a date from our logs which starts with the year and ends in 00

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

When doing field extraction, Splunk may look at fields containing commas as "multi-valued" fields - or not, depending on your configuration.

erex might not be a good choice for dealing with this, because it uses commas to separate the sample values. For the example that @garywiner provided, this will work

yoursearchhere
| rex field=_raw "Name=(?<lastname>.+?)\,(?<firstname>.+?)\;"

This creates two fields, lastname and firstname... You could use a similar regular expression in a props.conf EXTRACT to make these fields permanent.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Can you post an example of the data that you are working with - and how the field should be extracted? I think this would be easier with a concrete example.

BTW, I think you mean the IFX (Interactive Field Extractor).

0 Karma

garywiner

Same question, but something even simpler. The field contains "lastname,firstname".
Name=IDAHO,DUNCAN;
Name=JONES,JOHN;

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...