Splunk Search

erex not working in splunk 6

mjones414
Contributor

In previous versions of splunk, I've been able to use erex at search time to define a regular expression based on search time data, which is especially helpful in very large events or very spread out events. It used to display the regular expression needed to extract the field properly below the search bar. Now I get an error every time I try to use it that says:

The external search command 'erex' did not return events in descending time order, as expected. and it no longer tries to build the rex statement. Is this a regression? erex was an extremely valuable search command and I'd love to get it back!

Tags (3)
0 Karma

bravon
Communicator

I am also in a "Searching and Reporting " session (Self paced) and i also get this error

0 Karma

triest
Communicator

In reading the question, it looked like there were two parts:

1. Where is the regular expression
  2. The error message about The external search command 'erex' did not return events in descending time order, as expected.

I think the first part has been answered, but not the second, so ...

If you see that error message, try sorting the data before the erex command (e.g. | sort -_time )

I'm actually in the Searching and Reporting training session and we saw the error message. When it wasn't working, I googled and found this page, but no solution. I then asked the instructor who didn't know. Since I found this work around, I just wanted to share in hopes of helping some one.

Just FYI I saw it on 6.1.3

sophy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The regex is still available, it's just not presented as a banner. You can view it under the Job menu. See screenshot.

sophy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yay! I will update the docs as well.

jordanperks
Path Finder

Sophy, you are awesome. Thank you. That worked for me.

jordanperks
Path Finder

I am wondering the same. I have not received an error, but the erex does not attempt to build a rex statement.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...