duration / count of downtime occurences

martyd
Engager

Hi,
My data looks like:

SiteID, Date, Time,DeviceID,Alarm

1234,01/01/2013,10:01,1,True

1234,01/01/2013,10:02,1,True

If a device is down for 10 min. I would see initial data msg and one msg every 1 min. until the device is up so I would see 11 msgs. There is no data message received when the device is up. When the device is up we would see a gap > 1 minute.

How can I calcuate downtime duration and downtime occurences count each month?

Regards

Martin

Tags (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend
0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

easiest way is probably with the transaction command, because its maxpause param can easily implement your criterion of "more than 1 minute between events means two different outages".

This search:

... | transaction SiteID DeviceID maxpause="60"

will give you a resultset where each row is a distinct outage.

and from there, you can get the average downtime duration and number of occurrences per month with :

... | transaction SiteID DeviceID maxpause="60" | eval month=strftime(_time,"%m") | stats avg(duration) count by month

Or a timechart showing max outage duration over time, split by site:

... | transaction SiteID DeviceID maxpause="60" | timechart max(duration) by SiteID

or for fun, a frequency distribution of all outage lengths, split by site, with 15 seconds set as the granularity for bucketing our duration values.

... | transaction SiteID DeviceID maxpause="60" | bin duration span=15 | chart count over duration by SiteID

0 Karma

martyd
Engager

Thankyou very much.

The above works very nicely.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...