Splunk Search

delete events from specific time

dorbi
Explorer

hey, im trying to delete events that got into the system on a specific time range.

i see the events when i use splunk time range picker 

dorbi_0-1672300030699.png

but when i try and use where to find those events without time picker i can't find them and im too scared to just run delete query without specifying exactly what i want to delete.

dorbi_1-1672300109518.png

iv'e also tried only one "where" clause with earliest and latest didn't worked too.

what am i doing wrong?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't need a where command, just put the earliest and latest on the search line. Try something like this

sourcetype="doors" earliest="12/27/2022:14:00:00" latest="12/27/2022:18:00:00"

You are right to be concerned about the delete command, it is very powerful and cannot be undone.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"where" doesn't work like that 🙂

Your "wheres" would effectively look for events which have fields called "earliest" and "latest" with given values (and not even timestamps but literal string values). So it's definitely not what you want. Use @ITWhisperer 's way.

And yes, delete is not a very good thing to use.

It does not delete the data from index as such. Just marks it "invisible" so the events don't pop up in the search results but they are still in the index files. From Splunk's point of view however the operation is irreversible, you canot "undelete" events. So the command requires a special capability granted to the user.

Anyway, delete command is not something used widely with Splunk. Typically you'd prepare your ingestion process in a testing environment or at least using a test index which you can quickly drop and recreate as new and only if you have a working method, you'd deploy to production. And then you don't usually want to delete your data from indexes since it's there for a reason.

dorbi
Explorer

I'm seeing by your comment that i misunderstood the "Where" command .. what a blunder.

thanks for the explanation. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't need a where command, just put the earliest and latest on the search line. Try something like this

sourcetype="doors" earliest="12/27/2022:14:00:00" latest="12/27/2022:18:00:00"

You are right to be concerned about the delete command, it is very powerful and cannot be undone.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...