Splunk Search

data joins

friskyapple
Explorer

I've got a few different tables, all csv, that provide different information.

The main events table includes a bunch of fields that reference those other tables ie title_id field will contain a number and in the title_id table the numbers match up to a specific text value.

I have a number of these types of fields with matching tables. Is this something where i can upload all of the tables and join them in splunk, telling it how to reference? or is it something where i need to join the data external to splunk and upload it?

My goal is that when i search for something the actual title appears instead of the title id.

Sorry, i'm very new to this and super appreciate any assistance. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @friskyapple,

you can follow both the approaches:

• if your data are DB extraction, you could join them into the DB and then extract the joined data and upload them in Splunk;
  • otherwise you can upload each csv in Splunk and join them into Splunk.

It depends on the knoledge you have in Splunk or in DB. I do all in Splunk (sometimes also joinings of Excel files!)!

Anyway, in Splunk you can join all the data using different methods:.

• you can use the join command that's very easy to use (the same od a DB), but it's a very slow command and I don't like it;
  • you can use the "stats values(your-fields) AS your_fields BY  your_key" command that i usually use, that's faster but a little more complicated to use.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @friskyapple,

you can follow both the approaches:

• if your data are DB extraction, you could join them into the DB and then extract the joined data and upload them in Splunk;
  • otherwise you can upload each csv in Splunk and join them into Splunk.

It depends on the knoledge you have in Splunk or in DB. I do all in Splunk (sometimes also joinings of Excel files!)!

Anyway, in Splunk you can join all the data using different methods:.

• you can use the join command that's very easy to use (the same od a DB), but it's a very slow command and I don't like it;
  • you can use the "stats values(your-fields) AS your_fields BY  your_key" command that i usually use, that's faster but a little more complicated to use.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...