Splunk Search

csv file exclude

sfurkan
Explorer

Hi,

I will create an alert that tracks Windows (event id = 4726 - A user account was deleted) events.
I have a user list named "user" in the adminuser.csv file. I want to exclude these users. how can I do it? Should I use lookup or inputlookup? which one is more efficient?

The following query does not return the result I want.

index = wineventlog source = "WinEventLog: Security" EventCode = 4726 | search src_user NOT [ | inputlookup adminuser.csv]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sfurkan,

Using inputlookup is better since it will filter events as early as possible. 

index = wineventlog source = "WinEventLog: Security" EventCode = 4726 NOT [| inputlookup adminuser.csv | fields user | rename user as src_user]

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I noticed and fixed my query after posting. I think you read before my edit. Please check my reply again. I changed it to src_user. It will compare user field in csv with src_user in events.

0 Karma

sfurkan
Explorer

the field src_user that I want to query in the event.
I only have "user" field in the adminuser.csv file.

What does src_ip mean in the query you mentioned? Do you mean the field in the csv file?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sfurkan,

Using inputlookup is better since it will filter events as early as possible. 

index = wineventlog source = "WinEventLog: Security" EventCode = 4726 NOT [| inputlookup adminuser.csv | fields user | rename user as src_user]

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...