Splunk Search

csv file exclude

sfurkan
Explorer

Hi,

I will create an alert that tracks Windows (event id = 4726 - A user account was deleted) events.
I have a user list named "user" in the adminuser.csv file. I want to exclude these users. how can I do it? Should I use lookup or inputlookup? which one is more efficient?

The following query does not return the result I want.

index = wineventlog source = "WinEventLog: Security" EventCode = 4726 | search src_user NOT [ | inputlookup adminuser.csv]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sfurkan,

Using inputlookup is better since it will filter events as early as possible. 

index = wineventlog source = "WinEventLog: Security" EventCode = 4726 NOT [| inputlookup adminuser.csv | fields user | rename user as src_user]

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I noticed and fixed my query after posting. I think you read before my edit. Please check my reply again. I changed it to src_user. It will compare user field in csv with src_user in events.

0 Karma

sfurkan
Explorer

the field src_user that I want to query in the event.
I only have "user" field in the adminuser.csv file.

What does src_ip mean in the query you mentioned? Do you mean the field in the csv file?

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @sfurkan,

Using inputlookup is better since it will filter events as early as possible. 

index = wineventlog source = "WinEventLog: Security" EventCode = 4726 NOT [| inputlookup adminuser.csv | fields user | rename user as src_user]

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...