Splunk Search

contains on lookup table

korhanacar
Engager

Hello All,

I have a quick question about comparison fields from a lookup table.  Just imagine that I have a query like this.

index=linux [|inputlookup suspicious_commands.csv where command | fields command ]  Basically I have a lookup table that includes some Linux commands and I want to compare it with command fields from the origin log source. 

Question is that I want to run the "contains" function on the original command fields from lookup. 

Let say lookup has a command like: "rm -rf" but the log itself is "/usr/bin/rm -rf." in the command field  Can I do this search based on contains instead of the exact match? 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can always prefix and tail command with *, i.e.

[|inputlookup suspicious_commands.csv where command | eval command="*".command."*" | fields command ]

The alternative is to make a lookup definition and define command as 

WILDCARD(command)

and put the * characters in your lookup file and then rather than using the subsearch, use the lookup command

yoursearch...
| lookup suspicious_commands command OUTPUT command as found
| where isnotnull(found)

and suspicious_commands is the lookup definition you have made based on your lookup file.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can always prefix and tail command with *, i.e.

[|inputlookup suspicious_commands.csv where command | eval command="*".command."*" | fields command ]

The alternative is to make a lookup definition and define command as 

WILDCARD(command)

and put the * characters in your lookup file and then rather than using the subsearch, use the lookup command

yoursearch...
| lookup suspicious_commands command OUTPUT command as found
| where isnotnull(found)

and suspicious_commands is the lookup definition you have made based on your lookup file.

0 Karma

hoaxm3
Path Finder

so you should look into lookup definitions. You can try adding a "WILDCARD(FieldA)" in order to query off of likeliness. So you're lookup file would contain '*rm -rf*', and this would match your criteria.

- https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Usefieldlookupstoaddinformationtoyoure...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...