Splunk Search

avoiding joins with rexed fields and unmatched fieldnames in the sources:

mjones414
Contributor

I would love a little guidance on how I could improve this search by getting away from Join.  I think I am hitting some result limits in doing so, but I could not get the same results using appendcols:  I've also tried putting (sourctype=mysourcetype OR source=my_other_source) and renaming the field in the other source to match the field in the first source but that didn't work either.

...| stats latest(u_subscription_type) latest(sys_created_on) latest(dv_u_expiration_date) latest(dv_sys_updated_on) latest(u_status) latest(u_corresponding_ritm_number) latest(dv_u_corresponding_ritm_number) by dv_u_info,dv_u_sso,u_logonid
| `rename(latest)`
| eval record_updated=strptime(dv_sys_updated_on,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),record_created=strptime(sys_created_on,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),record_expires=strptime(dv_u_expiration_date, "%Y-%m-%d"),now=now()
| eval USBViolation=if(now > record_expires, "yes", "no")
| join type=left
[ search (source=my_other_source)
| rex field=horrible_field "#50\s+\-\s+(?P<business_justification>.+?)\s+\-\sBusiness\sCase"
| eval u_corresponding_ritm_number=request_item
|stats latest(business_justification) latest(dv_comments_and_work_notes) by u_corresponding_ritm_number
| `rename(latest)`]
| fields - now,record_created,record_exires,record_updated,record_expires

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming that fields in one search do not appear in the other search, and that u_corresponding_ritm_number/request_item is unique, you could try something like this:

(search one OR search two)
| rex field=horrible_field "#50\s+\-\s+(?P<business_justification>.+?)\s+\-\sBusiness\sCase"
| eval u_corresponding_ritm_number=coalesce(u_corresponding_ritm_number,request_item)
| eventstats latest(business_justification) as  business_justification latest(dv_comments_and_work_notes) as dv_comments_and_work_notes by u_corresponding_ritm_number
| stats latest(u_subscription_type) latest(sys_created_on) latest(dv_u_expiration_date) latest(dv_sys_updated_on) latest(u_status) latest(u_corresponding_ritm_number) latest(dv_u_corresponding_ritm_number) latest(business_justification) latest(dv_comments_and_work_notes) by dv_u_info,dv_u_sso,u_logonid
| `rename(latest)`
| eval record_updated=strptime(dv_sys_updated_on,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),record_created=strptime(sys_created_on,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),record_expires=strptime(dv_u_expiration_date, "%Y-%m-%d"),now=now()

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming that fields in one search do not appear in the other search, and that u_corresponding_ritm_number/request_item is unique, you could try something like this:

(search one OR search two)
| eval u_corresponding_ritm_number=coalesce(u_corresponding_ritm_number,request_item)
| eventstats latest(business_justification) as  business_justification latest(dv_comments_and_work_notes) as dv_comments_and_work_notes by u_corresponding_ritm_number
| stats latest(u_subscription_type) latest(sys_created_on) latest(dv_u_expiration_date) latest(dv_sys_updated_on) latest(u_status) latest(u_corresponding_ritm_number) latest(dv_u_corresponding_ritm_number) latest(business_justification) latest(dv_comments_and_work_notes) by dv_u_info,dv_u_sso,u_logonid
| `rename(latest)`

mjones414
Contributor

This is awesome, I completely forgot about eventstats!  Thanks for this great example of getting past join limitations!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...