Engager

Hi, after a search I have a table like this:

row VAL count
1   0   169 
2   1   3 
3   4   4 
4   9   1 
5   10  12 

I want to plot it as a column graph. However, on the x-axis I find that my VALs miss out values such as 2,3,5,6,7,8, etc. as in the table.

Ideally I want my table to look like:

row VAL count
1   0   169 
2   1   3 
3   2   0 
4   3   0 
5   4   4 
6   5   0 
7   6   0 
8   7   0 
9   8   0 
10  9   1 
11  10  12 

The there a way of telling splunk I want a row in the table for each integer between 0 and 11, and to fill empty ones with 0?

I've found bucketing by VAL works to an extent, as it makes buckets regularly even if they have nothing in, but I'd rather not have my x-axis reading 1-2,2-3,3-4 etc.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add this to your search pipeline:

... | makecontinuous VAL | fillnull count

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add this to your search pipeline:

... | makecontinuous VAL | fillnull count

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's possible, considering that makecontinuous is adding new values to VAL that did not come from the original search, so drilling down on that may confuse Splunk's default behaviour.

One way that should always work would be to build your own drilldown using Advanced XML.

0 Karma

CCoomber
Engager

This is almost exactly perfect, however if this search is making a column graph on a view (in simple XML) clicking on a column will no longer drilldown and give me events with VAL equal to this column's value. It seems both makecontinuous and fillnull kill the ability to drilldown.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...