Splunk Search

With the Splunk Trial or Free Version, can I create multiple instances for my team on a single production server installation?

karthikannan

With the trial version or free version, can I create a multiple instances for my team by single installation on Prod server?

Thanks,
Karthik

0 Karma

Yasaswy
Contributor

Hi,
Assuming your question to mean "Is it possible to have multiple instances for trail or free Splunk on a single server?" The answer would be "yes". If you have several trail licenses.. you should be able to install them wherever you please.

If you are saying that you downloaded a single trail version and want to use the "same" downloaded version again and again.. to create multiple instances..... The trail and free licenses are totally different. Trail gives you more features over the trail length where as the free license has limited features/functionality. You can also set it to use the free license (which is included in every download). So if your intention is just to use the "free" features (500MB ,standalone etc)... I think you should be able to use your free install and have multiple "free/stand alone" instances for your team. But ... you cannot use the "same" trail license for multiple instances (in the sense run multiple Enterprise Splunk instances in parallel with same trail license )

0 Karma

karthikannan

Thanks Yasaswy for the answer. Your reply is helpful. Actually what I'm looking is as of now I done the Splunk trial version setup in our application production server which is running remotely. So whenever I need to access splunk UI, I’m connecting production server remotely.
Now I want to know can I create the splunk instance in my local machine and similarly that for my team members by referring the production server splunk instance as the master? So that we can do search & reporting in splunk without logging in production server. But ultimately the monitoring should be happened in our production server.

If yes, then can this be done in free version or licensed version?

Thanks,
Karthik

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...