Splunk Search

Windows Security events not getting forwarded

srinivas_gowda
Path Finder

Hello team,

I am trying to monitor windows event logs and have installed the universal forwarded with relevant data. I am getting the Application and System logs, however the Security events are not being forwarded. I am adding the inputs.conf details below please let me know what is causing this.

###### OS Logs ######
[WinEventLog://Application]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
checkpointInterval = 5
# only index events with these event IDs.
whitelist = 16350-16400
index = default_tier1_idx
renderXml=false

[WinEventLog://Security]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
checkpointInterval = 5
whitelist = 0-10000
renderXml=false

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0
checkpointInterval = 5
whitelist = 7000-7050
renderXml=false

Thank you

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What user are you running your UF with? Local System? Or any other user?

Do you get any errors in your UF's log?

0 Karma

srinivas_gowda
Path Finder

Running this as a splunk user

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OK. So you're using a designated user, created specificaly for the installation of UF, right? This user most probably does not have sufficient permissions to read the Security Event Log.

The easiest way to grant this user privileges to read all event logs is to add it to the "EventLog readers" local group. But it gives the rights to read ALL event logs which in your case might not be what you want. In order to selectively grant permissions to single event logs, you have to fiddle with registry entries and SDDL (ugly as hell, I admit) - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/group-policy/set-event-log-security-loc...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...