Splunk Search

Wildcards in lookup file

dewoodruff
Path Finder

I'm trying to use wildcards in a lookup file and am not able to get them working. I have referenced other posted answers but am not having success. Steps I have taken:

• Created a lookup file called 'dt_s.csv' using the web interface by uploading the following content:

cs_host, is_suspicious
    www.google.com, yes
    www.*, yes

• Created a lookup definition called 'dt' using the web interface, based off dt_s.csv

• Our administrator added the below to transforms.conf on the indexers

[dt]
    filename = dt_s.csv
    match_type = WILDCARD(cs_host)

When I run a search such as '-search- | lookup dt cs_host | head 50 | fields cs_host, is_suspicious' I only get results for www.google.com and nothing for any other www.* entries.

What are we doing wrong? Is there any other step-by-step official documentation on how to set this up? Thank you.

Answer in comments below: In a pre v6.6 deployment with indexers separate from search head, the [dt] section above has to be added to the local transforms.conf on indexers AND the search head.

0 Karma
1 Solution

adauria_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I tested this and got successful results with

index=*
| head 1
| eval cs_host="www.foo.com"
| lookup dt cs_host | fields cs_host, is_suspicious

I get the same results with www.google.com and www.foo.com (i.e. is_suspicious=yes).

2 things to consider:

1) Look at app context and permissions on the lookup knowledge objects. I doubt this is your issue since it works for the google domain.

2) I was able to do this all from the GUI without having to edit my transforms manually by configuring "advanced" options under the lookup definition, and using WILDCARD(cs_host) as my match type.

View solution in original post

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...