Splunk Search

Why is where command not working with Splunk events?

ghostrider
Path Finder

I want to search below events in the base search. However these are not getting displayed when I use the where cmd. They are only getting shown when I use the spath and search cmd like below. Any idea why where cmd is not working even though the filter criteria is getting matched? Its working for other events with the same filter criteria belpw. Only difference I can see is the multi line stack_trace field that is missing in other events. Could that be the issue? 

Query that does not give any results even though qualifying events are there

BASE_SEARCH | where like(MOP,"MC")

Query that yields the results

BASE_SEARCH | spath MOP | search MOP=MC

Event

{
LEVEL: ERROR
stack_trace: Exception trace..
at blah
at blah
MOP: MC
}

0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The most likely reason is because the JSON object is not extracted if your second search requires an extra spath.  In fact, if you take that spath out in the second, or add that spath in the first, the two should give you the same results

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The most likely reason is because the JSON object is not extracted if your second search requires an extra spath.  In fact, if you take that spath out in the second, or add that spath in the first, the two should give you the same results

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...