Splunk Search

Why is there a difference in results depending on whether or not there are quotation marks in my search syntax?

jian
Explorer

A search for "ip=100.2.2.2" userid=foobar (identifying information has been changed) produces 5 results. However, when I remove the quotes and search ip=100.2.2.2 userid=foobar, there is only 1 result. And NOT ip=100.2.2.2 userid=foobar returns the remaining 4 results. Why is there a difference in results depending on whether or not there are quotes?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jian
Explorer

I figured it out. There was a saved entry at Fields >> Field Extractions that was incorrectly extracting the IP for a subset of the events. It was extracting the value as the full string "ip=100.2.2.2" instead of just "100.2.2.2".

View solution in original post

jian
Explorer

I figured it out. There was a saved entry at Fields >> Field Extractions that was incorrectly extracting the IP for a subset of the events. It was extracting the value as the full string "ip=100.2.2.2" instead of just "100.2.2.2".

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Good catch. These are tough one to figure out.
Don't format to close the question by clicking on Accept to this answer.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion
"ip=100.2.2.2" is an exact phrase search and in any search engine the exact phrase search is the most restrictive, so really it's weird that without the quotes you get less results.  
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check if there is a difference in the format in which ip=100.2.2.2 appears in all those 5 events. As @ddrillic said, with quotation it does a string based search. Without quotation it expects a field ip to be present and it's been extracted correctly in only one event, and not in other 4. If possible can you paste the whole raw event, one which is matching and any one which is not matching?

0 Karma

jian
Explorer

The 4 results that match the NOT ip=100.2.2.2 search look like:

290 <190>1 2017-04-19T09:26:53.529400+00:00 - INFO - REDACTED - Successful authentication. reason=AuthenticateFailed_exception userid=REDACTED ip=REDACTED

This is the one result that matches the ip=100.2.2.2 search

254 <190>1 2017-04-19T09:26:34.042433+00:00 - INFO - REDACTED - attempting to authenticate. userid=REDACTED ip=REDACTED

I've redacted the specific userid and ip for anonymity, but I can confirm the two are identical to each other based on browser search matching for both strings.

It seems like the underscore in the first (failed) query might be a relevant difference?

0 Karma

jian
Explorer

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@jjan... Please convert your comment to answers and Accept the same. While searching for fields with minor segmentation like IP address, it is better to use TERM() function. Refer to documentation: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Search/UseCASEandTERMtomatchphrases

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...