Splunk Search

Why is the xpath search command not extracting the expected result from my sample XML data?

TheRayTracer
Explorer

Hi!

I would like to use the xpath search command to extract my test results from daily XML files. I have created the following bare-bones proof-of-concept scenario in order to use the xpath command.

This is an example of my XML events. These are a single events/transactions:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TestRun id="7bfd7618-602a-4276-9f88-22c1d8bc630b" runUser="joe">
  <Result outcome="passed" />
</TestRun>

The following are my inputs.conf and props.conf for data ingestion:

inputs.conf

[monitor://\\MyServer\Results\Splunk\*.xml]
disabled = false
sourcetype = xml_test

props.conf

[xml_test]
TRUNCATE = 1000000
KV_MODE = xml
LINE_BREAKER = (</TestRun>)             ###Last element of the XML file
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 150
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

The following is the search that I am trying to get working:

sourcetype="xml_test" | xpath outfield=myresult /TestRun/Result/@outcome field=_raw default=broken | table myresult

I am expecting a table with a single entry of "passed".

However, thee table contains the entry "broken" due to the usage of the default parameter.

I am using the latest version of Splunk Light 6.2.5.

I have read the official xpath documentation for Splunk and my sample is just a simple.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I have missed or why the xpath search comment is not working as expected?

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

TheRayTracer
Explorer

It seems that the xpath search command in fundamentally broken out-of-the-box. It is very strange that no one has noticed this or how this passed Splunk's QA team. Following the advice from this Splunk Answer: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/213680/xpath-bug-default-value-always-returned.html I modified the xpath.py script to add and remove the following lines:

Removed:

# make event value valid xml
myxml = "<data>%s</data>" % myxml

Added:

result[outfield] = values
added = True

The command now works as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

TheRayTracer
Explorer

It seems that the xpath search command in fundamentally broken out-of-the-box. It is very strange that no one has noticed this or how this passed Splunk's QA team. Following the advice from this Splunk Answer: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/213680/xpath-bug-default-value-always-returned.html I modified the xpath.py script to add and remove the following lines:

Removed:

# make event value valid xml
myxml = "<data>%s</data>" % myxml

Added:

result[outfield] = values
added = True

The command now works as expected.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think it's a problem with your LINEBREAKER. From the docs: The contents of the first capturing group are discarded, and will not be present in any event. Therefore, your event is not Valid XML.

Try this:

LINE_BREAKER = </TestRun>([\r\n]+)

Restart, and try your search again.

0 Karma

TheRayTracer
Explorer

This is strange. According to the documentation what you have stated should make sense, but for each event, the entire XML fragment was included as posted in the question - including the end TestRun tag.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...