Splunk Search

Why is the wrong value being extracted when using this regular expression?

andrei1bc
Communicator

Hi,

I am using a regular expression to extract the word that follows the string result of raw output. For endpoint 1 the captured value is "s"(incorrect) and for endpoint 2 the captured value is "OK" (correct).

Using Splunk Enterprise 6.5.1 build f74036626f0c, and the regex was generated using RegexBuddy (language PCRE2 10.21 - closest to splunk, and here the correct value is highlighted in both cases).

My inputs, props, transforms and raw output below. Would like some help on this, as i fail to understand from where "s" is captured.

inputs.conf

[rest://test]
source = test
auth_type = none
endpoint = http://localhost:8130/test/v1/statuscheck
http_method = GET
index = main
index_error_response_codes = 0
polling_interval = 60
request_timeout = 50
response_type = xml
sequential_mode = 0
sourcetype = url
streaming_request = 0

[rest://test2]
source = test2
auth_type = none
endpoint = http://localhost:8131/test/v1/statuscheck
http_method = GET
index = main
index_error_response_codes = 0
polling_interval = 60
request_timeout = 50
response_type = xml
sequential_mode = 0
sourcetype = url
streaming_request = 0

props.conf

[url]
category = Custom
pulldown_type = 1
disabled = false
TRANSFORMS-url = url_transformation

transforms.conf

[url_transformation]
REGEX = ^.+<result>(?<url_status>\w+).+
FORMAT = url_status::$1
WRITE_META = true

Endpoint 1 raw output :

curl http://localhost:8130/test/v1/statuscheck
<status>
        <result>OK</result>
        <resources/>

Endpoint 2 raw output :

curl http://localhost:8131/test/v1/statuscheck
<status>
<result>OK</result>
<resources><resource name="..." status="OK" /><resource name="..." status="OK" /></resources>
</status>
0 Karma
1 Solution

andrei1bc
Communicator

Updated forwarder to 6.5.3 and I no longer have this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

Updated forwarder to 6.5.3 and I no longer have this issue.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Is this how you are testing?

1: Remove ALL the existing (bad) data from the indexers by running a search that pulls it in and piping it to the delete command on the search head.
2: Update your configurations on the Heavy Forwarder and restart splunk there.
3: Run a search and be sure that the data is "still gone".
4: Forward the data in.
5: Run the search again and see new data.

This is important because the configuration changes only effect NEWLY FORWARDED events.

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

Whenever i clean the indexer of events , i turn off the indexer and clean data. Steps below :

on indexer :
1. splunk stop
2. splunk clean eventdata (Yes to clean all indexes)
3. splunk start

on search head
1. after indexer comes online
index=* OR index=_* -> 0 events as result

on forwarder
1. splunk restart

After a few minutes I run my search again and the events are in. The extracted field for endpoint 1 still shows the value for url_status as S .. but if i apply the regex directly in search .. it works..

Possible bug ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Unlikely. More likely it is a rogue configuration that is bypassing/undoing the fixed configuration that you are deploying. Look everywhere on your indexers and your forwarder for configurations which can create the field called url_status. On *NIX you can do this with this command:

find $SPLUNK_HOME -name "*.conf" -exec grep -l url_status {} \;

You can also use btool.
For example, if you have a broken configuration in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/MyApp/local but you are deploying your fixed configuration into $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/MyApp/default, then the old/broken/local configuration will be overriding your fixed one. Something like this has to be happening.

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

Followed your recommendation, and nothing 🙂

Forwarder :

test@Endpoint :~> cd /appserver/monitoring/splunk/
test@Endpoint :/appserver/monitoring/splunk> find ./ -name "*.conf" -exec grep -l url_status {} \;             
./etc/apps/url_check/local/transforms.conf

test@Endpoint :/appserver/monitoring/splunk> cat ./etc/apps/url_check/local/transforms.conf
[url_transformation]
REGEX = <result>(?<url_status>\w+).+
FORMAT = url_status::$1
WRITE_META = true

test@Endpoint :/appserver/monitoring/splunk> 

Indexer :

test@indexer:/appserver/monitoring/splunk> find ./ -name "*.conf" -exec grep -l url_status {} \;
test@indexer:/appserver/monitoring/splunk> 

Search Head :

test@search:/appserver/monitoring/splunk> find ./ -name "*.conf" -exec grep -l url_status {} \;
test@search:/appserver/monitoring/splunk> 

Is there any place the transformation process is logged ?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Get rid of this and try again:

WRITE_META = true
0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this

REGEX = \<result\>(?<url_status>[^\<]+)\<\/result\>
0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

Works in search , but when put in transforms.conf and clearing my test environment data ,i get the same result... the value is "s" for endpoint 1.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, you're keeping the configuration on indexer/heavy forwarder and restarting Splunk on that host?

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

configuration is kept on heavy forwarder, cleaning data from indexer and restarting indexer to have fresh data.

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

Forgot to mention that I am using Heavy Forwarders and the inputs,props and transforms files sit on the forwarder and not indexer.

0 Karma

asimagu
Builder

try this regex in your transforms.conf

REGEX = <result>(?<url_status>\w+).+

cmerriman
Super Champion

using regex101.com , using .+<result>(?<url_status>\w+).+ seemed to work for both, the carrot at the beginning was throwing something off.

0 Karma

andrei1bc
Communicator

using regex101.com i have the same result as with my regex. The correct value is selected, but when this is applied to transforms.conf , the result value for the field is still"s" . Tested your regex after clearing my test environment data , and i get the same result... the value is "s" for endpoint 1.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...