Splunk Search

Why is the top command not working when searching in two indexes?

lmedina

Hello all,

For some reason, the search below isn't working for me... I am trying to search for the Top 25 Business Units that have triggered a DLP incident and sort it by those incidents... Unsure if it's the lack of caffeine, but I was under the impression this would work...

(index=dlp OR index=msad) (sourcetype=intel:dlp OR sourcetype=ActiveDirectory)  IncidentType="*" department="*" 
| Top 25 department
| sort by IncidentType

Greatly appreciate your inputs.

0 Karma

puneethgowda
Communicator

use double quote when for sourcetype=intel:dlp ---- sourcetype="intel:dlp"

0 Karma

lmedina

Thank you puneethgowda - but still no data... I've been trying other constants but no results.

0 Karma

puneethgowda
Communicator

index=dlp sourcetype=intel:dlp OR index=msad sourcetype=ActiveDirectory

Try this

0 Karma

puneethgowda
Communicator

index="dlp" sourcetype="intel:dlp" OR index="msad" sourcetype="ActiveDirectory"

add double quote

0 Karma

lmedina

Nope...

This is when the data comes...

(index=dlp OR index=msad) (sourcetype=intel:dlp OR sourcetype=ActiveDirectory)

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

(index=dlp OR index=msad) (sourcetype=intel:dlp OR sourcetype=ActiveDirectory) IncidentType="" department="" | top 25 department by IncidentType | sort by IncidentType

lmedina

Thank you sundareshr - but still no data... I've been trying other constants but no results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...