Splunk Search

Why is search for hosts not sending logs and no longer showing results?

neerajs_81
Builder

Hello,  We have been using this query to list out hosts that are not sending logs since past 24h.  It has been working well and for some unknown reason it has now suddenly stopped working.  In the sense it does not show any results despite there r hosts that meet the condition.  Can someone pls help to figure out why ?

| tstats max(_time) as lastSeen_epoch WHERE index=linux [| inputlookup linux_servers | table host ] by host 
| where lastSeen_epoch<relative_time(now(),"-24H") 
| eval LastSeen=strftime(lastSeen_epoch,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S")
| fields host LastSeen

Our lookupfile has 700 hosts .  Now if i reverse the where condition (just for testing) as shown below ,

where lastSeen_epoch > relative_time(now(),"-24H") 

it shows 694 results  meaning there are 6 hosts (700-694)  that are not logging.   So why is the original query not display the 6 hosts ?  

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

please try ths different search:

| metasearch index=linux [ | inputlookup linux_servers | table host ] earliest=-24h@h latest=now
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup linux_servers | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | table host count ] 
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| where total=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

maybe it will be a stupid try, but adding equal to the condition?

| tstats max(_time) as lastSeen_epoch WHERE index=linux [| inputlookup linux_servers | table host ] by host 
| where lastSeen_epoch<=relative_time(now(),"-24H") 
| eval LastSeen=strftime(lastSeen_epoch,"%m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S")
| fields host LastSeen

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

neerajs_81
Builder

That didn't work either.  It shows 0 results. Thanks for responding.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

please try ths different search:

| metasearch index=linux [ | inputlookup linux_servers | table host ] earliest=-24h@h latest=now
| eval host=lower(host)
| stats count BY host
| append [ | inputlookup linux_servers | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | table host count ] 
| stats sum(count) AS total BY host
| where total=0

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Ciao.

Giuseppe

neerajs_81
Builder

@gcusello  That query worked.  So how is it that this one is working while the earlier isn't  ?  Secondly can you pls clarify why are we appending the same lookup file again  when we have already called the lookup file at the beginning  ?  

| append [ | inputlookup linux_deployed_servers | eval host=lower(host), count=0 | table host count ]

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

the subsearch using the lookup at the beginning is only to limit the main search only to the servers of the lookup and avoid other results.

The real check is made after the append.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

neerajs_81
Builder

Curious - any way to further optimize your search to also make it show  LastSeenTime of those hosts ?  Even if its in epoch i can convert it into human readable format  .  I tried the following way in your stats command but the lastSeen column comes out empty.

| stats sum(count) AS total max(_time) as lastTime  BY host 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

it's correct: the algorithm of my search is that total is equal to zero only when there isn't any event in the main search, so you cannot have the LastSeen value.

Maybe this is the problem of your original search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

neerajs_81
Builder

Ahh. Didn't realize that. Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...