Splunk Search

Why is my search showing 2 values for the same hour?

xvxt006
Contributor

I am using the search below to compare this week vs last week same hour counts, but in the results, for some of the hours, I am seeing 2 values for the same hour as shown in the screenshotalt text

What could be the reason for this?

status=404  | stats count as Today by date_hour | appendcols [search sourcetype=access_combined_wcookie status=404 earliest=-7d@d latest=-6d@d | stats count as LastWeek by date_hour] | sort date_hour
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi xvxt006,

I cannot tell you why this happens, but I can show you a more efficient search to achieve the same result. Take this run everywhere example:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunk_web_access status=200 earliest=-14d@d latest=now | eval last_week=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") | stats count(eval(if(last_week > _time, status, null()))) AS last_week count(eval(if(last_week < _time, status, null()))) AS this_week by date_hour 

It will only run one search and count's based on the time of the events.

Hope this helps to sort this out ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi xvxt006,

I cannot tell you why this happens, but I can show you a more efficient search to achieve the same result. Take this run everywhere example:

index=_internal sourcetype=splunk_web_access status=200 earliest=-14d@d latest=now | eval last_week=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") | stats count(eval(if(last_week > _time, status, null()))) AS last_week count(eval(if(last_week < _time, status, null()))) AS this_week by date_hour 

It will only run one search and count's based on the time of the events.

Hope this helps to sort this out ...

cheers, MuS

xvxt006
Contributor

:-)...I missed that. Thank you.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

you're welcome 🙂

0 Karma

xvxt006
Contributor

One last question - by using the above query, for "this week" we are going to get the counts for whole week right? What if i just want to get the count only for today compared to same day last week by date_hour?

0 Karma

xvxt006
Contributor

Nice. i have tried that..

status=404  earliest=@d latest=now | eval last_week=relative_time(now(), "-7d@d") | stats count(eval(if(last_week > _time, status, null()))) AS last_week count(eval(if(last_week < _time, status, null()))) AS this_week by date_hour | table date_hour, last_week, this_week

For some reason it shows 0 counts for the last week

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

the base search used earliest=@d and later you used in the eval -7d@d so you will never get any data for the last_week 🙂

Try this for yesterday and today comparison:

status=404  earliest=-1d@d latest=now | eval last_day=relative_time(now(), "-0d@d") | stats count(eval(if(last_day > _time, status, null()))) AS yesterday count(eval(if(last_day < _time, status, null()))) AS today by date_hour 
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...