Splunk Search

Why is my search returning error?

parkz
Explorer

I'm trying to run the following commands on an index:

| eval elast=strptime(lastSeen,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval daysSinceLastSeen = round((now() - elast)/86400, 1) ```Calculate days elapsed since lastSeen```
| eval active_status = if ((latest (daysSinceLastSeen) <= 28), "active", "inactive")

There is an error that keeps popping up stating 'latest' function is unsupported or undefined.

How do I correct that?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The latest function can be used with the chart, mstats, stats, timechart, and tstats commands, but not with eval.

latest doesn't make sense in this context since any given event will have a single daysSinceLastSeen field so it must be the latest one.  Finding the latest value of a field across all events requires an aggregating command like stats.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The latest function can be used with the chart, mstats, stats, timechart, and tstats commands, but not with eval.

latest doesn't make sense in this context since any given event will have a single daysSinceLastSeen field so it must be the latest one.  Finding the latest value of a field across all events requires an aggregating command like stats.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...