Splunk Search

Why is my current configuration not extracting fields when indexing CSV files?

khhenderson
Path Finder

I need help indexing CSV files.
I have read this, http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/Admin/Propsconf

My props.conf

[test_csv]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = CSV
FIELD_DELIMITER=,

My inputs.conf on the forwarder

[monitor:///pathtocsvfiles/*.csv]
index = test_index
sourcetype = test_csv
disabled = false

The first line of my CSV file defines the fields and they are comma delimited. Splunk is not using the first line as "interesting fields" once indexed.

Am I missing something?

0 Karma
1 Solution

khhenderson
Path Finder

I got it worked out, I changed the sourcetype to "csv" in the inputs.conf and everything worked as expected. It's kind of a generic sourcetype but Splunk understands it.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

khhenderson
Path Finder

I got it worked out, I changed the sourcetype to "csv" in the inputs.conf and everything worked as expected. It's kind of a generic sourcetype but Splunk understands it.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried adding HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER = 1 to props.conf?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

khhenderson
Path Finder

I will give it a shot.

0 Karma

khhenderson
Path Finder

same results, it didn't use the first line for the fields.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you post the first few lines from one of your CSVs?

---
0 Karma

khhenderson
Path Finder

For security reasons, I can't post more than the first line.
_id,category,createDate,target,subCategory,actionType,request.userAgent.raw,request.userAgent.browser.name,request.userAgent.browser.fullVersion,request.userAgent.browser.majorVersion,request.userAgent.os.name,request.userAgent.os.manufacturer,request.userAgent.os.type,request.remoteAddress,request.referrer,request.url,actionValues.assetGuid,actionValues.assetTitle,actionValues.assetTypeGuid,actionValues.conceptGuid,actionValues.entityType,actionValues.folderGuid,actionValues.folderTitle,actionValues.formatId,actionValues.isLocalHostUser,actionValues.layout,actionValues.mediaFileGuid,actionValues.mediaFileUrl,actionValues.playedFromLocalHost,actionValues.requestedLanguageId,actionValues.requestedReadingLevelId,actionValues.searchTerm,actionValues.unitGuid,user.siteGuid,user.role,user.isImpersonated,user.isPrivate,user.isStudent,user.userGuid,user.accountGuid,user.sessionId

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hmm... The _id field is suspicious. Field names with leading underscores tend to be reserved names. Can you change it?

---
0 Karma

khhenderson
Path Finder

I think I can, maybe put something in the transforms.conf file to change it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...