Splunk Search

Why is my chart overlay not working?

namritha
Path Finder

Hi,

I need to overlay two values in one chart with a common X axis and a Y axis on either side

chart 1 - column chart: No. of requests per server (X axis - server, Y axis - no. of requests on left side)
chart 2 - line chart : Average Response time per server (X axis - server, Y axis - average response time on right side)

I am using the below code,

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
 <dashboard>
   <label>sample overlay simple xml</label>
   <row>
     <chart>
        <search>
          <query><<Filter on data>>| stats avg(Time) by server 
                    | appendcols 
                 [<<Filter on data>> | stats count by Server]
          </query>
          <earliest>-60m@m</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
       <title>sample overlay</title>
       <option name="charting.axisTitleX.text">Server Name</option>
       <option name="charting.primaryAxisTitle.text">Server Name</option>

<option name="charting.data0">results</option>

<option name="charting.data1">view</option>
       <option name="charting.data1.table">@data0</option>
       <option name="charting.data1.columns">[0,1]</option>
       <option name="charting.chart1.data">@data1</option>               
       <option name="charting.chart1">column</option>
       <option name="charting.chart1.nullValueMode">gaps</option>
       <option name="charting.chart1.stackMode">stacked</option>
       <option name="charting.chart1.columnAlignment">0.5</option>      

<option name="charting.data2">view</option>
       <option name="charting.data2.table">@data0</option>
       <option name="charting.data2.columns">[0,2]</option>
       <option name="charting.chart2">line</option>
       <option name="charting.chart2.data">@data2</option>               
       <option name="charting.chart2.showMarkers">true</option>
       <option name="charting.chart2.markerSize">5</option>
       <option name="charting.layout.charts">[@chart1,@chart2]</option>
       <option name="charting.layout.axisTitles">[@axisTitleX,@axisTitleY]</option>        

</chart>
   </row>
 </dashboard>

The stats response for the search string is,

alt text

I am somehow getting the below output with 2 columns stacked on top of each other.
alt text

Please advise.

NOTE: All values are place holders, and do not indicate the original values.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

In your panel, you need to set the overlay field and enable "View as axis".

See here for how to do that
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/Viz/Chartcontrols#Chart_overlay_example_.28dual_ax...

View solution in original post

blablabla
Path Finder

I experienced that the chart overlay is buggy when there are spaces or special characters in the name (though I did realize this effect only in the search, on the Dashboards it worked also with spaces. Splunk v 8.2.3.3). When I removed the space in the field name, the value could be plotted as secondary axis with overlay. Try to remove your brackets by renaming avg(Time).

Anonymized example:
Attempt with space in field namedoes not work. The overlay is ignored and no secondary axis:

blablabla_1-1668084419745.png

Attempt without space in field name works properly:

blablabla_0-1668084381337.png

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

In your panel, you need to set the overlay field and enable "View as axis".

See here for how to do that
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/Viz/Chartcontrols#Chart_overlay_example_.28dual_ax...

namritha
Path Finder

Thankyou for your excellent guidance so far.

Just to clarify, the below links seems to suggest that overlaying other chart types are possible. Can you possibly have a look and confirm.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/81701/chart-overlay-and-different-graph-type.html -I have been using the xml in the above link as a template for my chart.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/9053/example-of-chart-overlay.html -> Please check answer by V_at_Splunk [Splunk].

Also, the second chart in the link has the line <option name="charting.chart2">line</option>.
I would like to be able to change it to <option name="charting.chart2">column</option>. Is that possible?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

I looked at these two posts. Both have line chart for the overlay. The second one is HTML dashboard. You could create a HTML dashboard and use d3 objects to create custom visualization. I am not familiar with that.

0 Karma

namritha
Path Finder

Thankyou sundareshr.

I may also need to change the second chart type to column/area chart so that its like this,

chart 1 - column/area chart: No. of requests per server (X axis - server, Y axis - no. of requests on left side)
chart 2 - column/area chart : Average Response time per server (X axis - server, Y axis - average response time on right side)

Can you please help me out on those lines as well?

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

The overlay charts will have to be line chart. Splunk does not support any other type.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...