Splunk Search

Why is a value appearing twice in a table but only occurs once in the event data?

rob_gibson
Path Finder

I'm running a very simple search to draw a table. One of the values returned is appearing twice in the table, but only occurs once in the event data. Is this a bug?

Here is the search string;

index=* host=serverhostname EventCode=33205 | table ComputerName, statement

The result in the table is the value for 'statement' appears twice. I get two events returned, with two lines each but only the 'statement' value is doubled. All other fields are blank on the second line.
alt text

Here is the event data that is being queried;

10/17/2016 12:20:25 PM
LogName=Application
SourceName=MSSQL$OTPMSSQL
EventCode=33205
EventType=0
Type=Information
ComputerName=HOSTNAME.FQDN
TaskCategory=None
OpCode=None
RecordNumber=904492
Keywords=Audit Success, Classic
Message=Audit event: event_time:2016-10-17 16:20:24.1512330
sequence_number:1
action_id:AL  
succeeded:true
permission_bitmask:0
is_column_permission:false
session_id:136
server_principal_id:276
database_principal_id:1
target_server_principal_id:0
target_database_principal_id:0
object_id:8
class_type:DB
session_server_principal_name:DOMAIN\USERID
server_principal_name:DOMAIN\USERID
server_principal_sid:010500000000000515000000093a2a2426761e2f43170a326b1e0000
database_principal_name:dbo
target_server_principal_name:
target_server_principal_sid:
target_database_principal_name:
server_instance_name:SERVERNAME\OTPMSSQL
database_name:DBA
schema_name:
object_name:DBA
statement:ALTER DATABASE [DBA] MODIFY FILE ( NAME = N'DBA_log', FILEGROWTH = 1048576KB )
additional_information:
Collapse
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Seems like those field have been extracted twice by Splunk making it a multivalued field. Check your props.conf for the sourcetype to see if there are two configuration setup for field extraction.

View solution in original post

jbillings
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure if your data is coming in JSON or not, but I've seen the same issue with KV extractions with JSON. I had to add a local props.conf with the below stanza to the SH to resolve. This disabled the KV_MODE config on the SH.

[source::foo]
KV_MODE = NONE
You can disable the KV_MODE on either the SH or the forwarder. Disabling on the forwarder will use search-time extractions, disabling on SH will use index-time extractions.
Again, not sure if your data is JSON or not, but hope this helps.

tomaskucerak
Engager

This answer helped me more then the answer marked as solution.

aa70627
Communicator

i couldn't agree more

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Seems like those field have been extracted twice by Splunk making it a multivalued field. Check your props.conf for the sourcetype to see if there are two configuration setup for field extraction.

rob_gibson
Path Finder

Thank you! That put me on the right track. I used nomv to eliminate the multivalue.

index=* ComputerName="serverhostname" EventCode=33205 | nomv statement | table ComputerName, statement

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @rob.gibson - Did this search that you posted help to resolve your issue?

0 Karma

rob_gibson
Path Finder

Yes, specifically adding "| nomv statement |" corrected the issue.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Another option would be this

index=* ComputerName="serverhostname" EventCode=33205  | table ComputerName, statement | eval statement=mvindex(statement,0)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...