Splunk Search

Why is Splunk not ignoring field with NOT in subsearch?

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

this is my query 

earliest=-15m latest=now index=** host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  | rex field=MESSAGE "(?<message>.{35})" | search NOT [ search earliest=-3d@d latest=-d@d index=wiweb host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  | rex field=MESSAGE "(?<message>.{35})" | dedup message | fields message ] | stats count by message appname  | search count>50 | sort appname , -count

ALmost all the recurring 'message' is getting ignored but few of them still come in the result even if those are there in last 2 days (which should have been ignored which is what subsearch is doing)
is there anything else i can do to run this query with 100% success?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

is there any other way i can use the same logic to exclude results with 100% success?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

(earliest=-15m latest=now index=**) OR (earliest=-3d@d latest=-d@d index=wiweb) host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  
| rex field=MESSAGE "(?<message>.{35})" 
| bin _time span=1d
| stats count by _time message appname
| stats count as days count(eval(_time==relative_time(now(),"@d"))) as today values(count) as count by message appname
| where days=1 AND today=1 AND count>50 
| sort appname, -count
0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

there was one typo in my original query 

earliest=-15m latest=now index=wiweb host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  | rex field=MESSAGE "(?<message>.{35})" | search NOT [ search earliest=-3d@d latest=-d@d index=wiweb host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  | rex field=MESSAGE "(?<message>.{35})" | dedup message | fields message ] | stats count by message appname  | search count>50 | sort appname , -count

still your query holds true, right?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I thought there might have been, but you never know! 😀

(earliest=-15m latest=now) OR (earliest=-3d@d latest=-d@d) index=wiweb host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  
| bin _time span=1d
| stats count as days count(eval(_time==relative_time(now(),"@d"))) as today values(count) as count by message appname
| sort appname, -count

The key line is the where command which is filtering for events which have only occurred today.

0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

another issue is - it will check for message and appname together - what if the same message is there in other app and it is still throwing  an alert when that message is not relevent as that has come in other app already and can be ignored?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure I understand the requirement here. Are you saying that if the message has been logged regardless of which appname in the last two days you want to ignore it, even if it is the first time it has been logged for this appname?

0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Exactly!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

(earliest=-15m latest=now) OR (earliest=-3d@d latest=-d@d) index=wiweb host="*" LOG_LEVEL=ERROR OR LOG_LEVEL=FATAL OR logLevel=ERROR OR level=error  
| bin _time span=1d
| stats count as days count(eval(_time==relative_time(now(),"@d"))) as today values(count) as count values(appname) as appname by message
| sort appname, -count
0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

i have updated the query - will let it run for one day and will let you know if all good. THanks a LOT 🙂 @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

@ITWhisperer  please help  me.

0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

hello..i let the new query run for the weekend every 15 mins ...looks like my original query is giving me diff results and not getting the same 'message' using the updated query. 
when checked manually, the original query result seem to be genuine.

so not sure why the updated query didnt capture the new error 'message'

Tags (1)
0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Awesome, looks to be working 🙂

how can i remove 'days' and 'today' from the result but still get the filtered output?

0 Karma

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots

ah simple table worked ..thanks a lot @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Subsearches are limited to (usually) 50,000 events so you may not be excluding all the messages you think should be excluded. Does the job inspector give you any messages indicating that this has happened?

deepakgarg1373
Loves-to-Learn Lots
  • info : The limit has been reached for log messages in info.csv. 103 messages have not been written to info.csv. Refer to search.log for these messages or limits.conf to configure this limit.
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...