Splunk Search

Why is Lookup changing MV field to non MV?

morgantay96
Path Finder

Hello I am a bit confused here but I have a search that runs and creates a multivalue  field called "tags{}.name". This is a multivalue field pulled from JSON data. However when I then use the output of that search in a different search the field is no longer Multivalue and breaks if I try to split it. I need to either make this field delimited or ensure it remains a multi value field. Any help?

Search 1, Field is multivalue

Untitled.pngSearch 2, Field is no longer multivalue after using lookup.

Untitled.png

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

morgantay96
Path Finder

Solution was to use

| eval [new_field] = mvjoin([old_field], ";")

View solution in original post

morgantay96
Path Finder

Solution was to use

| eval [new_field] = mvjoin([old_field], ";")

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Wait a second. You're trying to do an outputlookup and want the subsequent lookup from a lookup created that way to return a mv-field? IMHO it won't work this way. How is Splunk supposed to store the mv-field in a flat csv file? I don't think lookups are even supposed to hold mv-fields at all.

0 Karma

morgantay96
Path Finder

Ok, that makes sense. So is there a way to squash that MV field before output to have the values delimited in some way to later expand?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yep. Exactly like you did - mvjoin()<->split()

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...