Splunk Search

Why does tstats command alter time stamps when I run it by _time?

LIS
Path Finder

I am wondering why tstats command alters time stamps when I run it by _time.

| tstats values(text_len) as text_len  values(ts) as ts where index = data sourcetype = cdr by _time thread_id num_attempts

raw data in index=data :  

Time   _time 2023-03-22T13:14:16.000+01:00

LIS_0-1679491403739.png

After tstats:

2023-03-22 13:10:00

LIS_1-1679491530559.png

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To group events by _time, tstats rounds the _time value down to create groups based on the specified span.  If no span is specified, tstats will pick one that fits best in the time window search - 10 minutes in this case.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To group events by _time, tstats rounds the _time value down to create groups based on the specified span.  If no span is specified, tstats will pick one that fits best in the time window search - 10 minutes in this case.

---

LIS
Path Finder

Hi @richgalloway 

Thank you for your response. But in my case there are no groups, because i used also another field (id) in by section, which is unique. So I expected to see all events with their original timestamps.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

tstats by _time supports the span= argument, so you can do span=1s to get the a 1 second bucket of _time

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @LIS 

@richgalloway  is correct, it's due to grouping by the _time field.

If you do want to pull the original _time out of the event then do not group by _time but pull it out as a field value, e.g.

| tstats max(_time) AS _time values(text_len) as text_len  values(ts) as ts where index = data sourcetype = cdr by thread_id num_attempts 

This assumes that each event has a unique thread_id and num_attempts, but hopefully this demonstrates the difference in what you expected.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

tstats still would have modified the timestamps in anticipation of creating groups.  It wouldn't know that would fail until it was too late.

If this was a stats command then you could copy _time to another field for grouping, but I don't know of a way to do that with tstats.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...