Splunk Search

Why does the map search break my base search?

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

So I have this search looking to send emails to people logging into a legacy SH, but the map command breaks my results. 

index=_audit sourcetype = audittrail action="login attempt"|eval user=user.""."@gmail.com"|fields user|map search="sendemail to=$user$ subject=Please Stoping Using Old SH message="Please migrate to new SH" sendresults=true inline=true format=raw"

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
You can check from python.log what are those arguments which have sent by sendemail.
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In what way does it break the results. By 'base search' do you mean a base search in a dashboard?

One comment about the search. You are double quoting the message string but not subject. 

0 Karma

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

I mean that the base search I mean the part of the search before the map command

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suggested you quote the subject string, like you have quoted the message string - did you do that?

Can you also give us some indication of what 'it is broken' means - can you describe or upload a screenshot of what 'broken' means

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A search is a pipeline of processing instructions for events - processing further down the pipeline cannot directly affect processing higher up in the pipeline.

How do you know it is "broken"?

0 Karma

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

Everything before the map command works, until I add that last half.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you need to escape the double quotes used in the search string?

0 Karma

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

In the eval? That's to actually make them into email strings

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like this (untested)

index=_audit sourcetype = audittrail action="login attempt"|eval user=user.""."@gmail.com"|fields user|map search="sendemail to=$user$ subject=\"Please Stoping Using Old SH\" message=\"Please migrate to new SH\" sendresults=true inline=true format=raw"
0 Karma

andrew_burnett
Path Finder

I don't need to escape them, but it is still broken.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried it with escaped quotes?

index=_audit sourcetype = audittrail action="login attempt"|eval user=user.""."@gmail.com"|fields user|map search="sendemail to=\"$user$\" subject=\"Please Stoping Using Old SH\" message=\"Please migrate to new SH\" sendresults=true inline=true format=raw"
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...