Splunk Search

Why does search typeahead no longer show "matching terms" after I upgraded to Splunk 6.3?

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I upgraded to Splunk 6.3 and it's working beautifully, however, I no longer get "matching terms" as I type in the search box.

In previous versions of Splunk, if I typed: err in the search box, I would see error=300, errors=402, errored=23 as typehead matching terms. Now I only see the term error show up in "matching search". There seems to be no matching term as you search now? I have auto-open turned on the search assistant.

0 Karma
1 Solution

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like this bug has already been reported to engineering as:
SPL-93222
SPL-96621

View solution in original post

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It looks like this bug has already been reported to engineering as:
SPL-93222
SPL-96621

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This may be related to your history on that Search Head which should be here:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/users/<YourUserName>/search/history/<YourSearchHead>.csv

It seems that something during your upgrade damaged/deleted this file but perhaps you can restore it from your backup. You did make a backup of your Search Head before you upgraded, didn't you?

Also, as the file location implies, you have a different search history depending on which app (context) you have when you search. It is possible that either you are searching from within a different app. This is common when some apps are removed during the upgrade process.

0 Karma

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

These are "matching terms" not matching previous searches. Shouldnt they be fetched from the index? In 6.2 I can see ..DEBUG SearchOperator: Typeahead ....loadtermsfromlex. In 6.3 when I put the SearchOperator:Typeahead in debug mode I dont see this "loadtermsfromlex" occurring. Also, to answer your question. I see my searchhead.csv file and it looks fine.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...