Splunk Search

Why does lookup have matching multivalue field?

adent
Explorer

I am trying to add fields from a lookup table. However, the matching field is a multivalue field. I need to expand the matching field but do not know how to group the lookup command with a multivalue command

lookup file assest.csv: 

ip, host

10.10.1.1|10.100.1.1|10.10.200.1, srv1

10.10.1.2|10.100.1.2|10.10.200.2, srv2

original search that returns an IP value | [lookup assets.csv ip OUTPUT host |makemv delim="|" ip]

does not work

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

johnhuang
Motivator

You can either 1. migrate your csv lookup into a kvstore which supports multivalues or 2. expand the IP values into its own record and save it to a new lookup.

For 2:

| inputlookup assest.csv
| makemv delim="|" ip
| mvexpand ip
| outputlookup assets_expanded.csv

View solution in original post

johnhuang
Motivator

You can either 1. migrate your csv lookup into a kvstore which supports multivalues or 2. expand the IP values into its own record and save it to a new lookup.

For 2:

| inputlookup assest.csv
| makemv delim="|" ip
| mvexpand ip
| outputlookup assets_expanded.csv

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do - if you have a multi-value field in your events and you want to look up these values, you could expand the multi-value field first

| mvexpand ip
| lookup assets.csv ip OUTPUT host
0 Karma

adent
Explorer

The MV IP is in the lookup table.  The original search returns a single IP value. The solution above about creating a new lookup table sounds easiest.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...