Splunk Search

Why does convert num NOT follow a universal typecasting paradigm and NOT trim leading zeroes?

nick405060
Motivator

I guess the question is a bit facetious

But, I would still like to know what the (flawed) logic is behind this? It's like Splunk wants you to spend hours debugging or have poor data integrity.

| makeresults | eval test="06" | convert num(test) | eval test="".test | eval a=if(test="6","yes","WHY")

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check this please:

| makeresults | eval test=tonumber("06") | eval a=if(test="6","yes, splunk can cast to number","WHY")

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

Already noted in a comment on the question.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

See this version of your query:

| makeresults | eval test="06" | convert num(test) | eval test="".test | eval result1=if(test="6","just 6","NA") , result2=if(test="06", "zero padded 6", "NA"), result3=if(test=6,"number 6", "NA") 

nick405060
Motivator

ugh

0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

PS for anyone looking for a workaround, not an explanation (which is what I am looking for in an answer), you can just use tonumber or ltrim etc

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...