Splunk Search

Why can't I find logs under _internal Index when I'm able to see in them in actual Index?

pkumar9610
Explorer

Hi friends,

I am using the below search query to see the usage of a specific Index. When I pull the search for 30days, it is showing usage for a few days and then showing nothing for a few days. But, when I search for logs in the Index directly (QUERY: Index=ship) , I can see data for all days.

But for Indexes I am able to see complete usage for all 30 days. Can you help me debug this issue ?

QUERY:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log | eval GB=kb/(1024*1024) | search group="per_index_thruput"  series=ship 
Tags (1)
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

When you say "I can see data for all days", are you talking about the _time, or the _indextime?

If the events are arriving in chunks, for instance from a once-a-week batch job, they will be indexed in chunks, even though they are spread out across the calendar.

Take a look at the indexing of the data using this...

your search that finds the actual records 
| eval _time = _indextime
| timechart span=1h count
0 Karma

pkumar9610
Explorer

To be more specific, when I run below command, I can see usage numbers for all Indexes in my Cluster but for only ship Index I don't see numbers.

index=_internal source=*metrics.log | eval GB=kb/(1024*1024) | search group="per_index_thruput" | timechart span=1d sum(GB) by series limit=20

0 Karma

pkumar9610
Explorer

When I run this query for last 30days< I can see data for 5 or 6 days, rest is showing as empty (no numbers shown).

0 Karma

Rob2520
Communicator

What's the retention period on _internal index and ship index?

0 Karma

pkumar9610
Explorer

For _internal we haven't set any retention period and for ship below is the config set.

[ship]
homePath = volume:primary/ship/db
coldPath = volume:primary/ship/colddb
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB/ship/thaweddb

12 months index file retension

frozenTimePeriodInSecs=7776000

creating each bucket of 10gb

maxDataSize=auto_high_volume
maxHotBuckets = 6

Just FYI: for all other Indexes we can see data for all 30days, only for this Index we see issue in pulling usage.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...